Sunday, February 8, 2009

a little outing

Today I was able to take Lauren with me to attend a 'meeting' with other parents raising children with Down syndrome. The group is fairly large and offers things such as Music Together classes (which are wonderful), signing classes (which I've yet to go to), play dates, Mom's Night out, Buddy Walk planning and even a dance class for when Lauren is a bit older. I can already envision her in a clingy pink bodysuit, tousled hair and those glittery butterfly wings you can strap on to your back - all the while flitting and jumping about.

Many of the kids there were over 5, some were close in age to Lauren (18 months) and there were several under 1 including 2 that were just a couple of months old. As I listened to what the newest Mom's expressed, it reminded me of how far away that 'dreaded news of Down syndrome' has become.

I picked up some sadness in the words of some of the moms, some doubt and some fear. I know what that is like all too well and I can relate to it wholeheartedly. But, happily, I don't feel like that anymore. Lauren is Lauren - she's determined, spunky, fun-loving, happy, sweet, smart and lovely.

Every now and again I think about "what if Lauren didn't have Down syndrome?"...but I quickly realize ...doh! then, she wouldn't be Lauren. It's not perfect or a breeze or anything like that, but it is really good.

A friend of mine from the group, Jordan, (Mom to the amazing Callan)and I were talking about the new babies being born to people we know and expressing our mock (or was it?) sympathy for families bringing babies into the world who do not have Down syndrome... Our "we're so sorry your child does not have Ds" was only halfway facetious.

I guess you just have to know it to, well, know it.

1 comment:

The Sanchez Family said...

What great group activites you have. I'm attending one of our first outings/events with our local chapter. What a beautiful family you have, I look forward to following your blog :)!!!!


Gabe, Curtis and Dav



Future Drummer?

Future Drummer?




SWEET LAUREN