Thursday, October 2, 2008

How Much is Enough?

When your child has 'special needs' there is an almost constant, lingering worry that you are not doing enough. Granted, all parents worry about this at times, but I find it different with Lauren and Ada. Today I met with a parent from the hearing impaired program and we agreed that, at times, we've both felt like we need to always be working with our children.

Does Lauren get enough time on the floor? Do I sing, talk, read, sign to her enough?Do I give her enough opportunities to feed herself? Is she drinking out of a cup enough? How many times did she walk on the treadmill?

and that is just the beginning.

At the end of the day, as I take stock of what we've accomplished and how that differs from what we hoped to accomplish, all I can do is say "we did okay" and that is enough.
Tomorrow will bring a fresh start on all of these tasks and more.

Ultimately, I believe, Lauren will reach her full potential, not only because of what I do with her but, also, in spite of what I do. As with any child, it will take time and work to bring her abilities to the surface. As long as I spend more time nurturing them than squelching them, she'll probably be okay.

Well, it's been a very long day and I need to rest up for tomorrow!

No comments:


Gabe, Curtis and Dav



Future Drummer?

Future Drummer?




SWEET LAUREN